Tuesday, September 4, 2007

How in the world can two weeks pass by so quickly? Well, next Saturday we will be headed for DC to get Zoe settled into a routine with her grandparents, Matt's mom and dad or perhaps better known as Nona and Pappy to the little one. Sorry to repeat myself as I am sure that anyone that has talked to me in the last month probably has heard something like, "Please pray for me. I am quite anxious about leaving Zoe for two weeks." And seriously, please be praying for me regarding this. While, I am extremely confident about leaving her with Matt's parents and grandparents, who are coming all the way from Florida to spend time with our little girl and I know that they will have a ton of fun. However, it's not her that I am concerned about, but rather me missing her terribly. Plus, I just don't want her to grow too much while we were gone. It's hard too because I don't know how much I will be able to contact her while I am gone. However, I do find comfort in the fact that I know this is what I am suppose to be doing and that we will both be the better for it. I am encouraged by the fact too that with Zoe staying back here in the States means that I will be able to give my complete and undivided attention to the little ones there who so desperately need to just be played with or to receive a hug. I am looking forward to really getting to know the stories of the ones we photograph. It is my hope that they might connect the idea of being known and sought after by a person all the way from America to their little corner of the world and that maybe just maybe the God of the universe is well-aquainted with their ways as well. The idea that He knows my name, what color my eyes are, what make me bashful and what makes me smile even in the midst of my suffering and hardship. It is ideas like these that continually re-energize me.

On a less deep note there are a few things that I want to touch base on real quickly...

Tomorrow I am meeting a woman and her children at the playground for a play-date with Zoe. She got in contact with me after she heard about what we are doing and was interested because she too has a heart for Africa and ended up adopting a little Ethiopian boy named Grayson. I am really looking forward to our time together. Afterall, this passion was really lit on fire in Ethiopia in 2005 when I witnessed first hand the ugliness of this disease called HIV/AIDS and looked into the eyes of child after child with no home, no mom or dad. It will be neat to meet on common ground. I mean who else do I know that has been to Addis Abba or let alone has heard of it and doesn't just think I am talking jibber-ish?

Also, today while I was out I met a woman who kept coming up to talk to Zoe remarking how beautiful she is even though most of that time she was throwing a fit. Even under the circumstances is music to a parent's ears. I ended up telling her about what we are doing and she got so excited. After she walked away she turned and came right back mentioning that she has a bunch of baby clothes, toys and books and didn't know if there was somehow I could get them over to Africa. I don't know how yet, but nothing a little investigating won't help. Anyway, the reason I bring this interaction up is because this is a natural reaction we have found when we tell others about what we are doing. You can almost see the wheels begin to turn in their head about what they can do to make a difference too! It's been so neat to see this happen time and time again. I am sure that they think, well hey if these kids can do that then why can't I do something too? I think it's a great question. So, to make a long story shorter, we exchanged numbers and we plan to hook up when I get back and we will figure out what to do with her goods.


Well, I better turn in for the night. I think my contacts are going to dry right out of my head. I apologize for the irregular blog entries--it's one of my quirks. Sorry.

No comments: